Of all wedding rituals, perhaps none is more treasured than the cutting of the cake. But these days, that cake can come in a wider array of shapes, colors and flavors than ever before. While classic white wedding cakes remain an elegant and romantic way to go, many brides now see cake design as a place they can truly express themselves.
Russo’s On The Bay’s Cakery Bakery is our own in house bakery where we make the most beautiful wedding cakes, groom cakes and wonderful pastries of all shapes, colors and flavors. This allows us to customize your cakes and desserts to fit your ideas and themes, with the convenience like no other can offer.
Some key trends taking the wedding cake to new heights:
- Bold and beautiful. Bright-toned frosting and graphic patterns bring an eye-catching appeal and modern attitude.
- Inner beauty. The cake color story extends to the inside of the cake as well. Red velvet makes a vivid statement when you cut the cake, while other designs layer cakes in different shades for a striped effect. Fillings can extend the color story – as in a shot of jewel-toned raspberry puree – or a cool counterpoint in neutral-toned chestnut, espresso or vanilla cream.
- Organic elements. Seasonal ingredients are another way to add distinction to your wedding cake. Russo’s desserts and all the other parts of our menu are very seasonal. So, it’s natural for us to bring the same outlook to our wedding cakes. Fresh fruit can add a color-rich “3D” appearance to cake décor and some designs incorporate accents – or lavish cascades – of fresh flowers in shades that complement the event’s color scheme.
- All that glitters. Metallic detailing imparts a modern glamour to some tiered designs, including cakes adorned in edible gold leaf. An all-chocolate cake provides an equally rich and sure-to-please option.
- More than good looks. However artful or elaborate their desired design, your wedding cake is meant to be eaten, not just to be seen. Think ‘from the inside out,’ starting with the flavors and ingredients they love most can help shape a vision for the overall cake design. We believe in beautiful, flavorful cakes that make a big statement when they are presented to the room – and an even bigger statement when the guests get to taste them.
To elevate your wedding, think about incorporating little elements of surprise that will amuse your guests, as well as tantalize their taste buds. Russo’s “Venetian Hour” dessert service showcases some ways to do this. Besides wowing your party with sensational cakes, cookies, hand-rolled truffles and a chocolate fondue fountain, this “final act” of a Russo’s wedding can include a station with popcorn and cotton candy machines, a candy shop with jars of M&Ms and other favorite kids’ candies ready for the taking, made to order omelets (breakfast for dessert, anyone?), a pile of sliders fresh from White Caste or a real Dunkin’ Donuts display. Then, just when your guests think the party’s over, they’ll encounter the Russo’s “To Go” bar, where they’re invited to take away biscotti, candies, fresh fruit and more, along with a final espresso or Cappuccino for the road.